A civilization only gets one shot of maturing to the point of interstellar, based on the irreversible consumption of raw materials.”
~ F. Hoyle (1964) Of Men and Galaxies, Univ. of Washington Press
We have some of the world’s best minds on call regarding the technology and science for extreme-range spaceflight. Our specialists have been chosen for their rare ability to be open-minded, visionary, and analytically rigorous.
Our founder, Marc Millis, has developed management techniques tailored for conducting revolutionary research within established organizations (NASA’s Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project).
We take the risk of dabbling on the edge so you don't have to.
- Want your company to be poised to pounce on the next breakthrough sooner than your competition?
- Need advice on how to explore 'out-of-the-box' ideas within your company?
- Having difficulty sorting out which crazy ideas might become the 'next big thing' and which are just crazy ideas?
- "Managing Revolutionary Research"
- "Converting Science Fiction to Science"
- "Status Report: Prospects for Star Travel"
- "Status Report: Star Trek Flight"
Corporate Sponsors get advance notice of our assessments and developments before they are public. We scan the literature for advances and cast those in terms of their relevance, cross-correlations, readiness, and next-steps.
We are adept at impartially assessing unconventional physics and technology for power and propulsion, with the aim to decipher the critical issues, possible benefits, and recommend prudent next-steps.
Our network specializes in forward-thinking research with implications for space travel and life on Earth.
- Want to collaborate with some of the best minds of starflight?
- Need help determining the real state of the art amidst contradictory advocacy pitches?
Creating Joint Research Proposals
Tau Zero experts can add to the value of proposals in the area of interstellar travel. If you wish to collaborate on an open research solicitation, please specify the following when contacting us:
- Which solicitation, and what are the deadlines?
- Which practitioners do you wish to collaborate with, or which skills do you need help with (we also have writers and artists)?
Most of what we offer is freely available through Centauri Dreams, this website, and our numerous publications.
- News (Including funding opportunities)
- Discoveries Log – repository of findings
- Bibliography with Recommended Reading
- Calendar of Events
Due to the overwhelming number of requests to review or discuss individual ideas, plus the time it takes to give such requests justice, we must now charge for such services.
The zero-cost option for discussions is our moderated forums following each article in Centauri Dreams.
STUDENTS & UNIVERSITIES
Are you a university student or staff member looking for a way to make a meaningful, cutting-edge contribution to the field?
Tau Zero is working with the Ohio Aerospace Institute (OAI) to create a program to help interested students and faculty tackle the unsolved challenges of interstellar flight. Tau Zero's network of leading professionals can guide students and faculty to the most relevant and current starting material. By working with the researchers and university, digestible and meaningful research projects can be identified, such as PhD dissertations or undergraduate class projects. It is expected that the universities then pursue funding opportunities with the collaboration of Tau Zero, and then conduct and publish the work with normal academic rigor.
This approach taps into relevant research skills scattered across multiple locations and helps today's students to become tomorrow's pioneers. At this time, the ambitions of starflight are too far in the future to warrant a single focused institute.
Areas of interstellar research could include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced Space Propulsion/Power
- Physics of motion
- Human Physiology
- Life Support Engineering
The Tau Zero Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to pioneering advancements toward interstellar flight.